Monday, December 7, 2009

Day 1

Weight: 247
exercise today: some brisk walking

so, I've got a target weight. I was a bit surprised at the weight this morning because I felt like I didn't do a very good job yesterday. I didn't start this thing by having a last hurrah, like others do (you know, some burgers and cake the day before you start dieting). But I wasn't all that productive either: I didn't exercise, I had a few pieces of candy, and I had lasagna for dinner.

Well, whatever the reason, I've got the firm goal now: 217. 10 weeks. 70 days. nearly 1 pound every 2 days.

In the interests of full disclosure, I should probably describe 2 things:
1) I'm an extrovert. I put it all out there. I can't keep it in. So, even if no one ever reads this, I can live out my fantasy that a horde of thousands are.

B) I have been trying to lose weight for a few months. I'm down a bit, about 10 lbs or so. This project hasn't come out of left field.

Some other background: I have been the fat kid since 6th grade. I wasn't heavy before then, but I gained a lot of weight that year. And more for the years after that. I was never grossly overweight, like some contestant for the biggest loser, but I was *always* the heaviest person in the room. Throughout high school, college, and even into my work life.

Then about 3 years ago, I hit a wall. I was told by my doctor that I was really, really healthy for a 60 year old. When I was 34. It was quite an eye opener.

I ended up enrolling in a study run by the weight loss program at penn. I ended up losing 70+ pounds over the course of about 9 or 10 months. But that was... more than 2 years ago.

When I gained back to within 20 pounds of my heaviest, I knew it was time to stop what I was doing. I started watching what I was eating, and start biking more.

Now, I'm down a bit, but need a kick in the pants. So here I am.

Day 1 is 1/2 over, and I'm headed to lunch.

I'll check in tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment